Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Temple Dome

My first trip to Sri Jagannath Puri was in November 2018. It was an unforgettable experience and inspired a couple of poems. This is one of them. 


The  Temple Dome

As I walked out of the narrow lane, there I saw:



Rising into the bright sky,

Majestic presence, stunning sight,

I gasped, and let out a loud cry,

Attained I had the success of life.


A storm of thoughts raged within,

Down I went, I gave my heart,

No end I found to my good fortune, 

I was in front of Lord Jagannath.


As if a burden of countless lives,

Had been lifted from my heavy heart,

I felt light, I roared and roared,

Jai Jagannath Jai Jai Jagannath!


For there it rose, the Temple dome,

It's intricate beauty captured my heart,

The Wheel atop of infinite fame,

The dancing flag doing its part.


Let them be my constant meditation,

The Chakra, the flag, the Temple dome, 

O Lord give me this benediction,

And Your Holy Names to take me Home.

No comments: