Sunday, June 24, 2007

Established in Non-Truth!


Dear All,

Suppose I have an exam to give tomorrow. Then accordingly, I will study, not do any dangerous stunts on my bike lest I get hurt, wont stay awake late at night lest I dont get up tomorrow, wont eat out lest I get sick, and so on.. Given the facts, one acts accordingly. Similarly, today I have to leave for Pune from Nanded at night. So, I'll plan my day accordingly. Or suppose I have a deadline to meet at work, then I will work keeping in mind that deadline. However, if I dream that I have to go to the moon today, I will still not plan my day accordingly :-) because I know that it was just a dream. In short, one naturally acts keeping in mind the truth and not keeping in mind the non-truth.

So then why dont we inquire about the Absolute Truth? Who am I? Who is God? Does God exist? What is this cosmic manifestation? What is my role it it? Why is there misery in this world? Without knowing answers to these questions where is the question of happiness? If I am a cricketer, but try to be like a footballer, how can I be happy? If I am a soul and a part and parcel of God, how can I be happy without taking His shelter? How can I be happy if I do not act according to my natural inclinations? How can I expect happiness if I base my actions on non-truth and not on truth?

The truth is that we are all part and parcels of Krishna and therefore its our natural propensity to serve Him. We have forgotten that and are instead trying to serve so many others but not Krishna. Not only that, we keep watching movies and reading novels and therefore keeping ourselves in a dream (fictitious) world and do not open up to reality. Thats why the great Acharyas condemn sense gratification so much. Indulging in personal sense gratification keeps us more and more engrossed in the temporary sense titilations and therefore we are unable to understand or enquire anything about that which is beyond the senses.

So many great saints have given their lives to propogating this message. And still we are so unfortunate that we will continue suferring the miseries of this material world and still not turn our attention to what the saints have said. We come up with our own justifications about why we cannot take to the instructions of the great saints. We think that we know better than the great saints about our welfare. We think that there is no God despite the fact that nothing else has been able to relieve us of our misery. This is our stubborn and foolish arrogance. We are suferring but we will not accept that. We can see that the devotees of God are the most satisfied people, and yet we will not take up the process!

Why? Because we are too attached to sleeping, smoking, meat-eating, watching TV, reading fiction novels, reading newspaper and so on. We can go on for hours speaking useless socio-political talks but wont use that time for chanting the Holy Name. This is our pitiously unfortunate situation.

Who can save us if we cannot identify the truth in the message of the saints and especially of Srila Prabhupada?

Abhijit.

No comments: