Monday, June 25, 2007

Things To Ruminate On


Things to ruminate on:


1. My beliefs do not necessarily match the actual reality.

2. Unless I work according to the actual reality I can not expect lasting happiness and satisfaction.

3. Therefore its important that I atleast try to find out the reality.

4. If such a quest requires some difficult steps, then I should take them even if they seem "extreme" because my whole future depends on whether I am ready to take up some pains for lasting gains.

5. What is the use of a "balanced life" if it doesnt give me lasting happiness and joy? In fact, a balanced life can be a means to achieve the end of lasting happiness, but not the goal in itself.

6. I have to accept that I am not happy and satisfied and have never really been so all my life. Therefore, if I carry on with life as I have been all these years, there is not much hope that I will suddenly find happiness and satisfaction. This is not pessimism, but realism and logical reasoning.

7. But that does not mean that I can never be satisfied and happy. Just saying this means I dont really want to take the pains to be really happy. There is a saying "Everyone has the will to win, but not many have the will to prepare to win".

8. Because I know people who are satisfied and happy. So, if I consult them and follow their instructions, I can also find real lasting happiness and satisfaction.

9. But I need to follow their instructions strictly with proper understanding of why I am doing what. I should not whimsically follow some instructions and reject others based on my convenience. Its like taking a medicine does whimsically and still expecting a recovery.

10. Krishna Consciousness is a science and not just a set of beliefs.

11. Its followers are serious about the goal they want to achieve and therefore are ready to take the trouble for it. The followers are very focussed in life and have a definite aim in life. They are happy and satisfied. Therefore whatever they follow definitely works!

12. Some famous critic has remarked something like : "If truth is what works, then definitely there is truth in the message of 'Bhagavad Gita - As It Is' because its followers are so happy and joyful.."

The choice is mine. Do I want to scientifically understand the truth by enquiry, contermplation, regulative principles in habits, service to God, etc. or do I want to reject everything that even slightly goes against my comfort zone and therefore deprive myself of the truth?

No comments: